Looking for a lovely day out exploring some of the towns and villages of Easter Ross? Then you have to make the time to visit the north sea port of Invergordon, this interesting small town with a population of around 4,000 started life as the northern terminus of a ferry across the Cromarty Firth to Balblair on the Black Isle.
This was part of a network of routes that was used by pilgrims for centuries as they made their way to the chapel dedicated to St Duthac in Tain.
The town of Invergordon developed in the 1700s when a planned town was laid out on a grid pattern by the Gordons of Invergordon. The first real harbour was constructed in 1828, and it has been repeatedly expanded and enhanced since. From 1834 Invergordon was served by a steamer service from Glasgow, which used the Caledonian Canal and called at Cromarty en-route.
Nowadays the town and harbour welcomes huge modern day cruise liners with 1000's of tourists coming ashore to enjoy what Invergordon has to offer, this has been possible due to the depth of the Cromarty firth and the shelter it can provide from the stormy North Sea.