The historic Annandale Arms Hotel is over two hundred and sixty years old. The hotel was built in 1760. It was just fifteen years after Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Highland Clans had marched through Moffat on their way south. Though they were to be totally routed, the 1745 rebellion revealed that the country’s communications and roads were very inadequate. Originally called the Kings Arms Hotel, the Annandale was built to serve the new mail coach service that was to run between London and Edinburgh. It was not until sometime during the nineteenth century the name was changed to the Annandale Arms Hotel.